Students will be considered for a drama placement at Newtown High School of the Performing Arts on the basis of an audition and interview.
The general criteria on which students will be assessed are
- the ability to work independently and cooperatively
- demonstrated genuine interest in the performing arts
- demonstrated self discipline and commitment
- the ability to successfully apply themselves to curricula and co-curricula performing arts commitments as well as other academic studies.
In addition the following criteria specifically apply to each performing arts area
- high standard of movement skills
- high standard of vocal skills
- demonstrated adaptability to various roles
- demonstrated creativity and imagination
- proficiency in script work
The Audition will be conducted by a panel chaired by the Head Teacher Drama and members of the Drama faculty.
It will consist of the students participating in a workshop (2 hours for Year 6, 2.5 hours for Year 10) which will focus on improvised drama group work and unprepared script readings. Students can prepare themselves by thinking about the important elements of drama. Rehearsed or 'set pieces' are NOT required.
Students are to wear comfortable clothing which is easy to move in, such as track suits, T shirts, jeans, sloppy joes.
Footwear should be track shoes or bare feet.
Four (4) passport size photographs will be required on the day of the audition. Failure to supply photographs seriously disadvantages the student in the audition.
The photographs will help the audition panel identify each student. Each photograph should have the name of the student clearly printed on the back. Photographs are not returnable.