Students will be considered for a dance placement at Newtown High School of the Performing Arts on the basis of an audition and interview.
The general criteria on which students will be assessed are
- the ability to work independently and cooperatively
- demonstrated genuine interest in the performing arts
- demonstrated self discipline and commitment
- the ability to successfully apply themselves to curricula and co-curricula performing arts commitments as well as other academic studies.
In addition the following criteria specifically apply to each performing arts area
- demonstrated dance skills
- physical and cognitive potential in dance
The Audition will be conducted by a panel chaired by the Head Teacher - Dance and members of the Dance faculty.
It will consist of the students participating in a Modern Dance and Classical Ballet class, ( 2 hours for Year 6, 2.5 hours for year 10) which will include floor and centre work, progressions and learning and performing a short modern (contemporary) or classical ballet sequence.
A prepared dance is NOT REQUIRED and will not be included as part of the audition process.
Students should wear plain, form fitting dance wear and be prepared to work in bare feet.
Hair should be tied back as necessary.
Four (4) passport size photographs will be required on the day of the audition.
Failure to supply photographs seriously disadvantages the student in the audition.
The photographs will help the audition panel identify each student.
Each photograph should have the name of the student clearly printed on the back. Photographs are NOT returnable